Since launching Arquiste in 2012, Carlos Huber has made himself a formidable presence in the ever-growing list of niche perfume brands. His perfumes, created in conjunction with perfumers Rodrigo Flores-Roux and Yann Vasnier are interesting and unique while still being easy to wear and universal in nature.
Huber, originally from Mexico City, moved to New York City in 2006 to study historic preservation at Columbia University. While in NY, he met perfumer Rodrigo Flores-Roux with whom he studied and learned about perfumes and the industry which led to the development and launch of the Arquiste brand. Combining the love for perfume with a love of history has paid off with the brand as Carlos uses historical inspiration for the creation of his fragrances. Some of his perfumes are aged in time, but his latest two releases, ÉL and ELLA are woven around more of a personal history as they were inspired by the stories that his parents told him of the sun and fun of Acapulco in the 1970s. Once again, Mr. Huber manages to capture history in a bottle with a pair of perfumes that take you back in time through a beautiful sensorial journey.
So what makes Carlos tick? Maybe the Random 10 will reveal a little more about that…
- My most prized possession in the world is…two first editions architecture treaties by Jacques Francois Blondel, from 1737-38. (“De la distribution des maisons de plaisance et de la décoration des édifices en général”)
- The way I prefer to apply my fragrance is to…do six spritzes, two for the back of the neck (each side) two in the front, and two for each forearm.
- The most influential person in my life is / was…probably my parents.
- I always cry when…I listen to Cat Power’s ‘The Greatest’ or Natalia LaFourcade’s ‘No mas llorar’
- My thoughts regarding natural vs. synthetics are …quality is the benchmark: bad naturals are as bad as bad synthetics. Good synthetics can be really good too, but nothing is as noble and alive as an exceptional natural.
- I start my day off every morning by …going to the gym.
- The most joyous event in my life thus far…probably winning the Fashion Group International Rising Star Awards for Beauty Entrepreneur in 2013. But to be honest, I get pretty excited about pretty basic things on a regular basic. When i’m with my group of friends having fun, it’s as if it’s the best day/night ever! I’m also very close to my siblings, so seeing them happy is really special for me.
- The fragrance that I most dislike is…Paco Rabanne 1 Million. I just cannot.
- When I’m looking for quiet time, I …watch period movies on Netflix at home.
- My fragrance preferences over time have…become more diverse, but I still like my old-school classics.
Thanks for Carlos for revealing a little more about himself with The Random 10. If you want to hear what music makes Carlos cry, you can by clicking here: Cat Power “The Greatest” and Natalia LaFourcade “No Mas Llorar”
And check out the latest releases from Arquiste, ÉL and ELLA at Arielle Shoshana and other fine retailers. For more information about the Arquiste line of perfumes, check out the Arquiste website at: arquiste.com