The Scented Hound is launching a new feature, “The Scented Hound’s Random 10.” The Random 10 is a list of ten fill in the blank statements designed to get better acquainted with a perfumed personality. The Random 10 is derived from a list of 99 potential statements that are picked by random by Random.org for each interview. Many of these statements are focused around fragrance, but many are general in nature. Each will hopefully add some unknown fun facts and personal insights of those in and around the industry. You can check out the full list of the 99 fill in the blank statements here.
So how better to kick off this new feature by not only highlighting one person, but two, with the co-founders of Twisted Lily Fragrance Boutique and Apothecary, Eric Weiser and Stamatis Birsimijoglou!
Who says you need to shop in Manhattan to get your hands on the best in niche perfume. Just across the East River in the Boerum Hill section of Brooklyn is Eric and Stamatis’ ode to niche heaven, Twisted Lily located on Atlantic Avenue. Since opening the store in 2013, these two have one of the most extensive selections of little known niche perfumes on the East Coast. And it seems that every month, they add an ever-increasing mix of up and coming brands. Selling perfumes is one thing, but Eric and Stamatis, as well as their staff, make your shopping experience an enlightening event with knowledgeable and friendly customer service. So let’s see what they reveal in their Random 10!
- I can get frazzled when…My to-do list spills onto a 4th page.
- If I had the chance to do something over again, I would…have been a dancer because I’ve got some crazy moves.
- My parents always taught me to…love unconditionally, the importance of family, and the importance of being a good listener!
- A guilty pleasure of mine is…LOL, sorry it’s personal!
- My favorite food is…Seafood, Avocados and Chocolate (not together though)
- My idea of pure bliss is…Being on a secluded beach, the open sea only steps away, mountains in the distance, sipping some good wine, a plate of fresh fruit and sharing it all with my partner, Eric… I can see it now!
- I’m a hoarder when it comes to owning multiple bottles of…Apoteker Tepe’s After The Flood. There’s something very comforting about it so I need to have it everywhere.
- My perfume tastes vary with…My mood and the weather.
- One fragrance that I thought I wouldn’t like, but turned out that I love is…Rania J’s Lavande 44. I don’t know why I thought I wouldn’t like it but I wear this one all the time now. It’s one of my favorites, a classic.
- You can never own enough…Boots and music.
- When I’m looking for quiet time, I…Meditate – anything that helps me shut off my mind for 15 minutes, also getting a therapeutic massage is like heaven on earth!
- My favorite fragrance house / brand is…Changes like the weather. I’ve learned to appreciate most brands.
- The phrase I always overuse is….Don’t bullshit me! (It comes in handy when you run your own business)
- My biggest challenge so far in life has been…Learning to balance my personal life and my career
- The animal that best represents who I am is…An independent, yet cuddly and loyal canine.
- My favorite food is…Anything delectably spiced that makes my taste buds dance!
- My most vivid scent memory is…Walking around the spice bazaar with Stamatis in Istanbul. Cardamom, Coriander, Pepper, Turmeric
- The fragrance I most dislike is…Very heavy Ouds. Of course I appreciate Oud and know when it’s perfect for someone, it just doesn’t work very well with my chemistry. I also find that they’re a heavy commitment.
- Before I go to bed, I always…Have a full-on conversation with my dog. Making up ridiculous stories and rubbing her belly.
- My perfume tastes vary with….Whatever shoes and belt I’m wearing.
Thanks to Eric and Stamatis for breaking the ice with this inaugural post of The Scented Hound’s Random 10. Please check out their website, twistedlily.com or stop by their store to see all the fantastic products they offer. And if you’re in the Brooklyn area THIS weekend definitely pay them a visit to take advantage of special in-store only offerings for the holiday weekend. What a way to kick off the Memorial Day weekend…hot dogs, hamburgers, beer and a new bottle of perfume!
May 26, 2016 at 5:34 am
That was a funny read Steven 🙂
Nice questions to answers and some great answers out there. Looking forward to seeing how this new series of yours develops and who will be challenged to the answers as the next one.
May 26, 2016 at 5:58 am
Lucas – Thanks. I look forward to see what people will have to say….the questions help to reveal people’s personalities which is fun.
LikeLiked by 1 person
May 26, 2016 at 9:25 am
Hehe, what a fun post Steven! I’ve never been to Twisted Lily – but maybe someday! On an unrelated note – I sprayed some Dis Moi on my son this morning (he insists on sprays when I get them) and I can DEFINITELY smell the milk on him! It’s far less sweet and more milky. 😦 It’s so unfair!
May 26, 2016 at 6:35 pm
So sorry that Dis Moi is not working on your skin. But maybe, just maybe you can turn your son into a little perfumista. It sounds like he’s already on his way!
May 26, 2016 at 11:26 am
The Random 10 is a stroke of genius! Like Sun, I’ve never been to Twisted Lily (dammit) but this post reveals some interesting facets of both Eric and Stamatis. Keep ’em coming!
May 26, 2016 at 6:36 pm
Holly…a stroke of genius maybe not. But fun, yes. I hope to do these posts pretty regularly. Glad you liked it.
May 26, 2016 at 12:25 pm
Ok….love this, Steven! Quick, dirty and to the point, yet you really do get a feel for the nature of the perfumers! Thank you for this! Robert H.
May 26, 2016 at 6:37 pm
Robert! Thanks so much. Glad you liked the post and hopefully those to come. Thanks for stopping by!
May 26, 2016 at 6:33 pm
Great interview of 2 wonderful guys. I’ve bought a number of things from their wonderful store.
May 26, 2016 at 6:37 pm
Ricky – They are great guys and have the perfect store. How I wish I could be in their place!
May 26, 2016 at 9:28 pm
I love this post. I plan on going to Twisted Lily on Friday!
May 27, 2016 at 5:36 am
So what do you have in mind for a purchase…or are you just freewheelin it?
May 27, 2016 at 6:04 am
I’m getting the Carner Barcelona Palo Santo for sure as it just came back in stock and the rest, whatever catches my attention!
May 27, 2016 at 6:09 am
I would love to go in when there’s few people in there. During Sniffa it’s just impossible to check things out. Have fun…I want to know all about what you get and what special Memorial Day goodies they have for you! xoxoxoxo
May 27, 2016 at 6:44 am
I can appreciate having full conversations with a dog. I do it daily as well. They sound like my kind of people.
May 27, 2016 at 6:51 am
With cats I’m not so sure it’s conversation as it is being told what you are going to do for them. But, as Duncan is lying next to me snoring right now, I wouldn’t have it any other way 🙂
May 27, 2016 at 10:51 am
Those men are the bomb. Only met Eric but Stamatis sorted me out when I was in a perfumed pickle.
Love the new interview style too.
May 27, 2016 at 11:01 am
Thanks P – They are da’ bomb aren’t they!!!
LikeLiked by 1 person
July 2, 2016 at 1:48 pm
It’s a good idea for the interview questions! And I enjoyed the interviews themselves. I will visit the store the next time I’m in NY.
And now I seriously consider buying(!) a sample of Lavender 44 – I keep hearing favorable opinions about it.
LikeLiked by 1 person
July 4, 2016 at 11:53 am
I read the entry again and took the time to realize that the questions were ‘random.’ Fun, I love this. Don’t have time to read in detail when I’m working and I miss a lot-lol. Love this format a lot. A trip to Brooklyn and the Twisted Lily is in my future.
July 4, 2016 at 2:14 pm
Trust me, I know the feeling. Sometimes you just have the time to scan and not really read.
July 4, 2016 at 2:11 pm
I hope you get to go there. It really is a wonderful shop with some incredibly interesting lines.